My friend Sangeetha, or SangeeFA, as Josie calls her, brought strawberry shortcake to my house last weekend. It was the best summer dessert: sweet biscuits, whipped cream, and perfectly ripe strawberries. What a treat.
Here's the recipe. Perfect timing for July 4th. Hope you enjoy the long weekend.
We are going blueberry picking and for an early lunch here!
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk sugar, baking powder, salt, and 2 cups flour in a large bowl. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work in butter until the texture of coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Add cream and mix until dough just comes together (it will be sticky).
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 12x4” rectangle about ¾” thick. Cut out rounds with a 2½” biscuit cutter, re-rolling scraps as needed to make 8 rounds. Whisk egg with 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl. Transfer rounds to a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash. Bake until tops are golden brown and shortcakes are cooked through, 15–20 minutes.
- DO AHEAD: Shortcakes can be made 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.