I want to love swiss chard. Who couldn't love this gorgeous vegetable? But as I've mentioned before, for me, swiss chard is lacking in the taste department. Too bitter and not enough texture. Enter cream. Also, parmesan. And garlic. Finally, barley. Wait, what? Barley? Yes, haven't you heard, I love barley now.
Swiss chard and barley now that sounds silly healthy, doesn't it? But let's admit that it doesn't sound delicious.
That's where the cream comes in.
Swiss Chard and Barley Gratin
- 1 bunch swiss chard, coarsely chopped, including pretty stalks
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup barley, cooked according to instructions
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- squeeze of lemon
1. Bring a pan of water to a boil. Boil swiss chard for about three minutes. Drain.
2. Heat olive oil in pan, add garlic, cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Careful not to brown garlic.
3. Add cooked barley to the pan and mix in swiss chard. Spread swiss chard evenly through the pan.
4. Pour in cream and then top with bread crumbs and parmesan.
5. Bake under a broiler until top gets slightly browned and crispy (about four to six minutes depending on your oven).
6. Squeeze with lemon and serve.